Monday, March 2, 2009

my flea market finds


Recently I went to the one of the local antique barn/flea market places to look around for items to make my kitchen more to my liking. I don't know why I have never done it before, but with a relocation of our belongings soon to take place, I thought I would take advantage of the new space and plan on creating my environment.
I am basically a lover of the color red, so I intend to keep a thread of red throughout my little place. I also like roses, and the cottage cozy look, without so much of the shabby chic look... I like tea...so I need a tea area

I also am fond of some of the cutsie signs, and designs that probably fall into a folk art category... so I have been challenged to become focused as to how to pull it all together.. thank goodness for electronic ability to view other peoples houses, decorating styles, and daughters who encourage me to move forward...giving me their ideas, sending me to those that can inspire me, and helping me overall to purchase what I like.
So my overall intent will be to have the red thread (as I said), utilize the trays with roses...that encompass red, pink, pale green and pale blue. A little yellow thrown in for added measure.

Now to complicate things I have these ugly green metal glasses from the 50's that just love, they are great for drinks in the summer, they keep cool for the longest time...but trying to match with my reds has been difficult, and my husband would just as soon get rid of them. (he lost the argument though) I also was given a wrought pot hanger from my that sister that I like ...and since we don't use or need much in the way of pots and pans..it holds all that of the most used. So I want to keep a little of the black wrought iron look. So posted here are some pictures of my focus areas, stove, tea supply, counter, and my little red table area.





the table has a papier mache tray leaning on wall, because I can't yet figure how to hang it without injuring it ( it is most likely an old Japanese tray...does not have the words made in japan, but does have an imprinted mark of a flower on the back.)
Well that's it for the moment....and Keila...don't worry I won't move my stuff in before you get your stuff out...but it is tempting!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mom - love what you're doing! red is SO your color... and you really are making YOUR home. that's something you've needed to do for a long time. keep it up! love the platter/thing... it's really antique-y and pretty :)

Anonymous said...

very nice Mom! Actually your choice of pot holders really help isn't that great! Love it!

Keila said...

I am glad you're excited, as today I was cleaning behind the sink just thinking how much I hope you like this kitchen.