Monday, September 8, 2008

Productive!

okay three wk plus 3 days post op, and I have actually completed some sewing projects! The purse I actually cut out and sewed the main pieces before surgery, I just had to hand sew the binding part..and now I have to pick a button. who would believe that this cost me less than $3??.. some upholstery samples purchased for less than $1 each at a fabric store closing ... No pattern, but I had a general idea of what I wanted...its not perfect... a couple of errors are noted in fitting of the last pieces but isn't that part of homemade sometimes? I used 2 samples cut in a diagonal and pieced together, and took off a 5 inch strip from the bottom of each and used to make outside pockets with three divided sections.
Inside the purse I used a complimentary fabric and made one medium sized zippered pocket (6" square), and one pocket to hold pens and narrow (2.5 inch) objects for quick access.
I also made a sturdy bottom with another scrapped upholstery sample... so the purse can actually stand on its own ... Oh and Thanks andrea for leaving that yardage of green heavy fabric in your apartment...it came in handy for the shoulder strap and binding. Now if I can only figure out which button to use..looking at these pictures does help..that oblong button looks actually blue..black is too stark, so I will probably go with the yellow or leather look brown. I will end up making a loop and button closure
Now for a couple of pictures for that last of the diapers for Dee
well actually they are for Bella...supposed to be for 10 to 20lb... she will use strappis for diaper closures and there will be diaper covers overtop. Sophia's diapers were made with soaker sewed in and velcro'd... I was hoping to use snaps on these, but need the proper equipment. And I made Bella's with pockets so the soaker liners can be added and removed... ALL of my diaper stuff that I made these last couple of weeks were from scraps that I had in my fabric stash... I tend to hate to throw usable pieces away, and I know my son in law would have gladly helped me along... but the flannel scraps, gauze material, and faux suede came in handy. Don't they look comfy?
oh those clips? they are from my quilting tools...heavy duty and they helped show the tab style of final product. those plaid flannel soaker inserts at the top are made from the fabric I had bought at $1/yd to make for Coffee Cabin use a few years back... the white soakers are gauze material scraps from a blouse I made Andrea YEARS ago. the pink flannel is left over from a baby quilt I made for Abbie, the yellow from some pj I made someone sometime, and the blue flannel- a used receiving blanket... and the white faux suede? from an outfit I made someone years ago... I have also made fleece covers...the fleece ? from left over fleece from hats I made for my kids and grandkids over the years...its funny to think that Sophia is wearing on her bottom what Ben has worn on his head (as in matching NOT that I used his hat to make her diaper cover...though humm maybe that is an idea???) and I used both my regular sewing machine (Bernina- my gem) and my serger- both invaluable in diaper making. Twas fun, but now I am looking forward to my eldest granddaughter coming over to help me reclaim my dining area, reclaim my floors, and she can help me cut out another project I hope to complete before I return to the working grindstone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you, thank you Mom!

Hannah said...

Thanks for letting me help you maama!