Tuesday, September 23, 2008

hero and villain

We had an unfortunate happening the other night.... one that ended up working out in the end, however there were more than a few moments of stress, sweating, fear, and probably a few unspoken words of questionable endearment playing around in my spouse's brain during this unfortunate time.
a little bit of supporting information... the afternoon/evening started great! I got to spend more than a few minutes on the deck, working at finishing the jewelry started by my sister and her granddaughter last weekend. An hour had gone by, Bruce was sleeping in his favorite recliner...and the weather started to get cooler. As I was organizing my 'stuff' to return to their proper spaces, I came across the tool of the night! A find that gave me great joy because I knew I could become a hero soon to my husband... and almost on que he walked out on the deck to have his 'after nap' smoke. I retreated inside and quietly pulled out my tool.(THE VILLAIN)
I took it to the lock and I was thrilled to see that it worked like a charm.... We didn't get one with his recent buy... and Bruce had expressed a desire to be able to lock his prize possessions. (the victim? )

I was a bit smug when I walked up to Bruce and tell him I had just "Made HIS day!!!" A somewhat doubtful expression was quickly replaced by a wide smile and an exclamation of delight when I handed him the tool... something that I had laying around in my jewelry extras... Confidently I walked with him inside, and watched him approach HIS desk, and insert the tool. First left, then right, then left then right... Obviously my husband had no clue how to use a skeleton key...so I offered to work my magic... turn clockwise...nothing, maybe a little bit of contact but essentially nothing...turn to the left obviously did nothing either ..why ? well because I left it LOCKED? Who would think that my tool would so soon lose its effectiveness on this lock... THIS LOCK....??? my husband's prize possession, an antique of some value.... and all his personal stuff inside? WHAT HAD I DONE??? He in all his wisdom says.. "why didn't you try the key with the desk open? that way if it didn't work we could still access things?" I don't know, I just didn't think that way! but I truly felt awful, and realized that the morrow would bring an early trip to local antique shop looking for keys. He never yelled, or said anything sarcastic...I think he was overwhelmed with shock. I did have the thought to give him hope, and sent him on to his mother's place- if anyone had a skeleton key SHE WOULD! While he was gone ...Ben came by... a son sent by divine appointment ( he had a sliver)... I told him what I did, and he echoed his father's statement " why didn't you try the lock with it open?" duhhh... But Ben prides himself on being able to open anything, and has the patience of a saint, or a pastor... alot more than his father anyway... and after a good thirty minutes, working on the drawer below lock...examining the workings of it, etc, trying some of mom's useful tools that have helped her over the years...none worked until this!! (the hero)
YOU might not have something like this in your possesion...but I have a mother in law who kindly gave me alot of her stash of 'stuff'... and this (if you look closely) is a crochet hook... the smallest...used to make fine lace edging.... but bent at this angle...became a hero!
I can only hope I learned my lesson... stop trying to be a hero!.... and if you want to see if something locks...lock it in open position.... But also something else came out of it... We told Ben he would make a fine locksmith, and since they are few and far between...why not check out how to get certified?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom! I missed this post! Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are clever and Ben is so smart, isn't he? I love how you are the family go to for our health needs. Ben the locksmith. Mom the nurse and mender of all little things. Oh how we need you!

Keila said...

He is awesome, isn't he?