Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Roses , roses, roses, and good buys

Okay for all of you that will never visit my home:
At this stage of my life, one would think I would KNOW what I like... but most of my adult
years have been spent focusing on others, and what would make them happy, so much so that somewhere I lost the ability to KNOW what I like (as in decorating my new living space.) I have a few people to thank..mostly her( Ex: what do you feel drawn to? check out these blogs!, or that looks soo you!) , but also her, and her...they all encouraged me to find me in the midst of my eclectic style. so I listened, and I found there were two things that were constant- RED, and roses.. any in the red family..pink, rose colored, and even yellow. I did not like orange very much, but very much gravitated to the Pink ladies who decorated with rose plates, bowls etc, some lace, but needing some bold red in there too... And I finally figured out that hubby REALLY didn't care, as long as I was happy (why 39 years to figure that one out?) so when we found ourselves moving again (5th time in 5 years...) I knew it was time to take the space from the very beginning and make it mine. Blues are my husband's favorite, so I attempt to bring some blue in to make him not feel over run! Luckily for me Keila had the living room and bedroom with some blues on the walls so I am able to pull things a little together.( those rooms will be another blog!)
Over the last few months I have been to garage sales, flea markets, and doing some ebay to find some new buys and here is how I am putting things
together in my kitchen. Last year I started with my little red table (well old white chipped table enamel table that I painted with red, and flecked with white) then I bought some old soda fountain looking chairs with red and white checked seats I loved, and fit right in with my table ..then I bought that green hutch which sat on Ben's deck for a month.

So these are close ups of the items in my kitchen:
This is a bowl I bought in Texas, a sugar bowl from Gma, and a creamer from a garage sale in Texas- they don't match but I love them


Below is picture of two tin plates from a flea market..they have blue back ground and I thought that was a good way to bring in the blues,
then there is my mother's plated Tea/coffee set in front. The next picture shows my Goodwill plates behind pics of Ben, Derek and Dee...and my hubby's old silver cup (1889) he found at lake in the 50's, flanked by my silver sugar scuttle, and my unknown metal creamer/gravy server..with beautiful flowers. The picture on right below is red tray with my yellow roses,(ebay) other two rose Goodwill plates, a silver plated fruit plate from my mother's collection - all behind a picture of my sister and I at 1 1/2 and 2 1/2...I am on left .
.
Below is my wrought iron pot hanger, now used for decoration with aprons, antique towels, roses from Christmas tree shop..hanging over my new farmer's bench from the Christmas Tree shop. The red enamel plate was $2 at a garage sale, and works well with an enamel tea pot (sl hidden) I purchased on ebay...along with some oriental finds, ebay finds, flea market glasses with painted roses. the final picture is the beginning of my wall with ebay tray, and our antique tea set we purchased in texas. some day I will add more rose plates/trays etc.



Final set is a wrought iron shelf ,with red vase, two lovely old egg cups from my motherin law, and two blue cups with pink roses found at Christmast Tree shop, and finally a little area for the wonderful gifts given to me by my friends at ARC when I left my position



all in all I like my little kitchen...though honestly little finds get lost in the big picture, I have lots more to look for to compliment my look...AND I have fabric I want to add to windows... but I haven't yet gotten to organize my sewing room... but I am looking forward to being a busy little homemaker!
thanks for visiting...please leave me a comment and know you stopped in for a visit.. it keeps me encouraged

4 comments:

Keila said...

I SO love what you´ve done with the space. It is amazing how just a couple weeks ago that was so differently set up and how it really feels like YOU when we walk in now!

dee said...

Mom, I wish you many happy cups of tea, treasured conversations with family young to old, ladies that are comforted by your words of experience. Meaning: tears, smiles, laughter, and so much more than you could imagine.

andrea said...

i love what you're doing! this looks like your home, more so than any place you've lived as long as i've been around :) i hope to see it in person!! until then, please keep posting the pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Adrienne, I love the reds!! My new bedding is red and white.. You are doing great at your decorating!!! Next time I am up there we really need to get together..
Kristi